16 Jul 2021
Work-related road safety in Malaysia and beyond
The Vision Zero Webinar Series: Work-Related Road Safety (International) was organised by the Social Security Organization of Malaysia (SOCSO) on 24 June, in cooperation with the Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (MIROS) and under the Vision Zero Malaysia initiative.
The Vision Zero Webinar Series is part of a continuous effort to instil Vision Zero elements, which outlines a prevention approach that combines three dimensions - namely safety, health and well-being at all levels of employment. It aims at bringing together occupational safety and health (OSH) and social security practitioners to discuss and deliberate the latest safety and health issues in the region.
SOCSO views work-related road safety as an important issue that needs to be addressed continuously, especially in terms of protection and prevention. Hence, it was selected as the first theme of their inaugural webinar series.
There was an overwhelming response to this webinar with 1,295 participations from Malaysia and 12 other countries from South East Asia, Africa, Australia, America and Europe. Most of them were policymakers, researchers, practitioners, law enforcers, industry players as well as from public and private organizations.
The list of speakers and topics were as follows:
- Welcoming Remarks: Mohamed Azman Aziz Mohammed, Chief Executive Officer, Social Security Organization (SOCSO)
- Keynote Speech: Managing Work-Related Road Safety: Are We Doing Enough? Honorary Assistant Commissioner (CD), Dr Khairil Anwar Abu Kassim, Director General, Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (MIROS)
- Keynote Speech: Towards Safer Work-Related Journey: Challenges & Emerging Trend, Dr Azlan Darus, Head of Prevention, Medical & Rehabilitation Division,Social Security Organization (SOCSO)
- Indonesia Social Protection for Transportation Workers Through Occupational Accident Insurance of BPJS Ketenagakerjaan, Roswita Nilakurnia, Service Director, BPJS Ketenagakerjaan, Indonesia
- OSHMP 2021-2025 – Strategy 7: Enhancing the Occupational Safety and Health for Work Related, Informal Sector and Future Jobs, Ahmad Nazri Abd Kader, Director (Industrial Safety Division), Department of Occupational Safety & Health (DOSH) Malaysia
- A Systems Thinking Approach to Workplace Road Safety, Dr Sharon Newnam, Associate Director (Systems Safety Team), Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC), Australia
- Work-Related Road Safety in Developing Countries – Lifting Safety in Vietnam, Truong Thi Nguyet Trang, Programme Manager, AIP Foundation, Vietnam
- Jobs in Transport – The Weakest Link? Zulhaidi Mohd Jawi, Director of Vehicle Safety & Biomechanics Research Centre, Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (MIROS)
- Prevention of Work-Related Road Accidents in Germany, Dr Walter Eichendorf, President, German Road Safety Council (DVR)
Participants of this webinar not only gained insights on various related issues but were inspired by the knowledge-sharing from these safety and health practitioners and experts.
The hope is that, the Vision Zero Webinar Series continues to receive support from all parties and will become a catalyst to increase the level of work-related road safety awareness not only among Malaysians but also across the globe. In the end, the best form of social security is to stay safe and healthy.